Photo by Joey Csunyo on Unsplash
Updated: 29 September 2019
Is my business a national system employer? And why should you care? A national system employer is covered and bound by Australian national workplace relations law.
The national workplace system covers:
- All employees in Victoria, Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory (there are some exceptions for state public sector employees)
- All employees on Norfolk Island, the Territory of Christmas Island and the Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands
- Private enterprise in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania
- Government employees in Tasmania
- Those employed by the Commonwealth or a Commonwealth authority
- Waterside employees, maritime employees or flight crew officers in interstate or overseas trade or commerce.
Below is a diagram to show coverage clearer.
If your business is a national system employer your business is bound by the national workplace relations system and your workers are protected by those laws.
I wish you every success in your ventures!