Have a heart to help others succeed? Check out our Commercial Lawyer position and apply today.
Are you looking for a unique role? Do you have a heart for helping people excel in business and their careers? Do you want to work for an amazing company that values people and believes in delivering excellent client service? Yes? Be sure to apply.
- Casual position for 6 months with a view to an ongoing position.
- Zetland/Double Bay and remote or combination and possibly some interstate travel down the track.
Michael Law Group is a rapidly growing boutique business and employment practice helping clients take the stress out of launch, scale and exit. Our clients are a mix of Australia-wide and overseas based Australian expatriates.
While this role is based in Sydney, it may involve interstate travel as our clients and team are located across Australia.
We are looking for a down to earth, dynamic commercial lawyer with a positive can-do and up-beat attitude that can easily switch between varied tasks, both legal and non-legal. This is a newly created role because of an increased demand for our quality business and employment legal services..
You will report to the Practice Principal and work collaboratively with the Principal, our Barristers, and legal and non-legal team members.
Main tasks and responsibilities include:
- General commercial drafting including obtaining client instructions and drafting shareholder agreements, founder agreements, employment agreements amongst many other agreements.
- Completing, filing and serving court documents.
- Client contact for a range of client queries and assistance to the Practice Principal and support staff in existing and new legal matters.
- Legal research.
- Carriage of new client matters from end-to-end.
- Legal work for employment law matters, including founder and employee exits, unfair dismissal, general protections, conciliation preparation and attendance.
- Commercial disputes including letters of demand, commencement of legal proceedings, preparing briefs, working with our barristers and attendance at conciliations, courts and tribunals.
- Coordinating and carrying out administration tasks, when required, including reception, mail, couriers, greeting clients and filing.
- Liaising with support staff for administrative tasks and with other team members for content production, including articles and posts for social media.
- Video content creation.
- Running or participating in webinar creation, conducting training and running workshops.
- Abiding by workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
- Other tasks as directed.
Your key skills will include:
- Non-negotiable soft skills — must be a team player, collaborative with a humble, positive can-do, upbeat attitude and conduct yourself with integrity, courtesy and respect, even with unpleasant opposing counsel.
- Raise the standard for courteous communication in our profession and set an example for other practitioners at all times.
- Be helpful to our clients, go above and beyond their expectations and complete work with agility and diligence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills— a commitment to praising publicly and resolving conflict directly and privately in a constructive manner.
- Must be able to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- Take a pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Organised and deadline focused
- Self-motivated, proactive and dedicated to getting the best outcomes for clients.
- Confident with numbers including reading financial statements and working with numbers if need be.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Zoom, Canva, Google Drive, Loom and Asana.
This role will be casual with hours worked from between 9 am and 6 pm Sydney time.
Successful applicants will have:
- 1 to 3 years previous experience in a similar role/industry.
- Graduated from an Australian university with a law degree.
- Business or commerce accounting degree combined with a law degree is desirable.
- This is a post admission role and you must have completed Practical Legal Training (PLT).
- Must be currently be admitted to practice law in NSW.
- You are dynamic, energetic with a can-do and up-beat attitude and willingness to learn.
Your next steps
If you are interested in this terrific opportunity, please lodge your application by sending your CV and cover letter to us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com