December 28, 2019

Liquor licence types & transfer for a business purchase

NSW liquor licence types & transfer for a business purchase

28 December 2019 

If you are buying a NSW business that serves alcohol, you need the correct licence. 

Also, the licence will not automatically transfer with your business purchase. 

Here’s a guide for liquor licence types and the transfer. 

The different liquor licence types

Courtesy of liquor and gaming NSW, the table below gives you an idea of the different licence types available in NSW.

Liquor licence types
Liquor licence types

Transfer of liquor licence process

You’ll need to apply for a transfer with the previous licensee’s consent. 

Usually Liquor & Gaming NSW will give you provisional approval within 5 working days, so the business can continue operating. 

And it takes about  60 days for confirmation of the transfer and if you have the necessary authorisation, you can transfer online.

Who can apply for the licence?

Applicants must be 18 years or older, and may be any of these:

  • existing license
  • proposed licensee
  • premises owner
  • business owner
  • secretary or other office-bearer (limited liquor licence)
  • general manager of a council (limited liquor licence).

What you need

A full list of the information you'll need to provide is on the NSW service website, here's an idea of what you'll need below.

  • liquor licence name and number
  • name and contact details of the person lodging the form
  • the intended transfer date (cannot be less than 3 business days after the application is received)
  • representative's name and contact details (if applicable)
  • proof of ownership (if you’re the premises owner)
  • details of the proposed licensee's (transferee's) industry experience and profile
  • completed Data Monitoring Services direct debit request form – PDF (if operating gaming machines)
  • declaration by existing licensee 
  • declaration by proposed licensee

and for individuals specifically:

  • copy of your NSW National Police Certificate
  • identity documents 
  • evidence of Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualification
  • evidence of Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) qualification (if operating gaming machines)

personal details of:

  • transferee
  • proposed/present premises owner
  • proposed/present business owner
  • any interested third parties.

and for organisations specifically:

  • evidence of an appointed liquor approved manager
  • transferee's current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract showing directors and shareholders

details of:

  • transferee, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
  • transferee's contact person
  • proposed/present premises owner, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
  • proposed/present business owner, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
  • interested third parties, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc .

Application & other considerations

You can complete your application on the Service NSW website.

While this article is about NSW liquor licences, you should consider any other permits or consents you may need. 

Do you have questions or comments about a liquor licence or a transfer of business? Be sure to leave them below. 


About the author 

Vivian Michael

As founder and lawyer at Michael Law Group, CPA and owner of a business consultancy, Vivian is well-positioned to advise Australia's top entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs benefit from Vivian's commercially focussed legal advice, business experience, and commitment to deliver the best quality business legal services to entrepreneurs.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Sign up to our mailing list for useful resources and updates